Monday, January 14, 2008

Equestrian Photography - Tip #3 - Thinking "outside the box"



Part of the success of my photography is that my final photos are not always your typical o/f or leadline shots. Not only do I shoot a show, I am constantly looking for more personal photograph ops...ones that are unexpected and fun, and ones where when viewed, are a surprise, even more so because they are candid. And the subject of your photo doesn't have to be a rider on a horse, as shown in one of my favorite photos (above photo of Tayloe Clements and her pony Christmas Belle). As a matter of fact, many of my best shots are simply those of riders (shown here also, Elaine Pruitt, one of my favorite children to photograph). If your photograph speaks "equestrian", it may very well end up in a publication...in our area, "Horse Talk" or "Virginia Horse Journal"... as was the photo below of sisters, Ashley and Emily Keene, which made the cover of VHJ, June, 2007. Important to note: you may be required to provide a "model release" from your photo subject(s) before you can be published. Most crucial: respect your models. If they don't want their photo published don't share it! How to determine what photos are keepers, and what to discard? Coming soon.