Thursday, January 17, 2008

Are you ready for your own equine friend? Part 1


The Opportunity
My adventure with acquiring my very own (and first!) horse started in October, 2004. While lessoning at a farm in Locust Grove, my trainer asked me if I was interested in buying their Arabian, Aladdin ("Huntlea Attilla"). He was full Arab, stood at 15.2 and was 19 years old. I started riding him during lessons, and to be honest, it was scary! He LOVED to move, unlike other lesson horses I've ridden throughout the years where it's somewhat of a chore to get a walk. Aladdin needed no leg, no cues; as a matter of fact, he needed no direction at all...he just WENT! I think that's what made it scary, but it was too late and I was in love.

I am fortunate to have a wonderful friend, Janie White (my mentor in equestrian), whom I met and become friends with when I moved to Virginia, and who has eight thoroughbreds of her own. Janie came out to the farm several times and rode him, examined him, and proclaimed "Get him...he's perfect for you". And so I did! (Shown here: Aladdin and me on the day he became my best friend, November 1, 2004)

Coming next...Calculating the costs