Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Equestrian Photography - Tip #4 - A Different View!

The beauty of digital photography (and two 2-gig cards) is that you have so many more opportunities to "mix it up" when shooting equestrian; your photo o/f doesn't always have to be from a typical horizontal view. For example, I've photographed a hundred times (!) one of my favorite riders, Paige Ganger (shown here with Hannah). Because I've taken many photos of her, full body to include all of Paige and all of Hannah or Skye, I decided to shoot her straight on, cropped the photo vertically, and zoomed in on the upper parts of both Paige and Hannah which turned this into an "outside the box" photograph. I took the same approach with another beautiful rider, Jill Wilson, shown below with Vidor. While Vidor's ears are not forward and I didn't catch Jill in one of her perfect o/f executions, this is still one of my favorite photographs (and which was taken with an Olympus 4-megapixel camera...more on choosing the right camera to follow!)